Speaker: Stefan Carter – Senior Advocate from Advocacy Matters
Stefan Carter is a Senior Human Rights Advocate; Stefan began his career in community regeneration, before moving into social services for eight years as a front-line practitioner. Stefan has been working as an Advocate for the last six years, now with Advocacy Matters, a charity offering invaluable advocacy and support services in Birmingham and Walsall.
He will be providing a summary of the key ways in which advocates can help maximise P’s participation in and understanding of proceedings, including using experience to develop bespoke and tailored ways to explain the proceedings to P and obtain their wishes. The Presentation will cover:
- • Advocacy plans and their value in helping P understand what they can expect from the process;
- • Agreeing the role of the advocate / RPR in facilitating P’s communication with their Solicitor and the COP more generally;
- • The importance of a tailored, bespoke approach for each client;
- • Helping P choose between / give views on available options; and
- • A summary of the challenges faced by advocates in engaging P in proceedings (including supporting them during lengthy proceedings).